The District Award of Merit is a council award presented by districts in the same manner that the Silver Beaver is a national award presented by councils. The award is available to Scouters who render service of an outstanding nature at the district level. The award is made available annually on the basis of 1 for each 25 traditional units or fraction thereof. The district need not pre-sent all the awards to which it is entitled each year. It is not appropriate to nominate a Scouter who has already received this award.
A professional Scouter or other council employee may not receive this award based on employment service. However, a professional Scouter or employee who also serves as a volunteer Scouter may be eligible, based on volunteer service.
1. A nominee must be a registered Scouter.
2. A nominee must have rendered noteworthy service to youth in Scouting, outside Scouting, or both.
The nature and value of “noteworthy service to youth” may consist of a single plan or decisions that contributed vitally to the lives of large numbers of youth or it may have been given to a small group over an extended period of time.
3. Consideration must be given to the nominee’s Scouting position and the corresponding opportunity to render outstanding
service beyond the expectations of that Scouting position.
4. The nominee’s attitude toward and cooperation with the district and/or council is to be taken into consideration.
5. Nominations cannot be considered for posthumous awards
- Download Nomination Form(s) <HERE>
- Complete Form(s) and Return To . . . BSA LaSalle Council Office (1340 S Bend Ave, South Bend, IN 46617) ATT: Tom Hoogland or Tim Monaghan at September or October Round Tables
Nomination forms must be received by the October Round Table (October 9, 2014).